Liverpool is to get a huge new 1.9 hectare waterfront park as part of the Liverpool Waters development.
Developer Peel, which owns the disused dockland site next to the Mersey is asking for opinions from the public for the park. This will turn a grey dilapidated wasteland into a burgeoning green oasis.
In a statement the company spokesman Chris Capes said:
“We really want Central Park to become a destination for everyone and a place where people can visit and relax with their family and friends,”.
“We know the docks are hugely important to everyone in the city, which is why our design is driven by the regenerative nature of Liverpool’s waterfront to form strong connections between people and nature.”
“Green space has never been so important. Despite the challenges of the last couple of years, we’ve been busy working behind the scenes, so it is great to be able to share our proposals and have a conversation about what a new park could mean to the local community.”
The park is being guided by 5 principles, which are:
1. A place for people – a place that people will want to visit to socialise, play and relax and can be enjoyed in lots of different ways
2. A place for nature – the opportunity for wildlife to thrive in different habitats and become a place that brings people and nature together
3. A place for learning – where people from all walks of life can come to learn about the site’s heritage, biodiversity and its response to climate change
4. A place for sustainability – exploring ways to reuse the site’s existing heritage materials, such as cobbles, in creative and innovative ways to minimise environmental impact and enhance the sense of place
5. A place for water – the park aims to bring people closer to water with walks and views along the canal, access points for water sports as well as educating people about the water cycle through the park.
You can visit either of two public meetings or leave a comment on their consultation website here: https://www.liverpoolwatersletschat.co.uk
Thursday 12th May, 4pm – 7pm
Ten Streets Social, 8 Regent Rd, Liverpool, L3 7BX
Monday 16th May 4pm – 7pm
Silvestrian Suites, Silvester Street, Liverpool L5 8SE
4th May 2022 by